Thursday, December 10, 2015

Some film shots!




So I got my first test roll back from the lab!  These were taken on the EOS-1v machine with a 50mm f/1.4 lens and I loaded it with some cheap Fuji Superia 400 film.  The lab sent the negatives back and scanned the images to a CD.  Even seeing the images on the screen alone in color, they had this creamy quality to them that I missed shooting digital.  The colors originally were a little muted, but then I realized, I had been shooting digital for the last seven years (at least), and I think we've all gotten used to seeing over-saturated colors, and super-sharp details.  To make sure I wasn't crazy, I pulled out some of my favorites photographs I had taken with film over a decade ago and discovered, yes, film colors are a little muted.  In fact, colors in real life are a little more muted than what we see on the internet or in magazine ads anyway.

How am I liking it?  I think I love it.  I'm shooting so much slower now.  It could take days of concentrated shooting to get through a roll of 36 exposures.  I'm thinking more in terms that I want every one of them to be a keeper, which means I'm not spraying an area and hoping for the best to edit out at the computer later.    I want them all to be good, which raises my ratio of good photographs - just thinking before I shoot has made a huge difference!

I will still keep my "digital" chops up, though.       

On another news front, somewhat depressing, is that as I pledge my allegiance to film, Canon announces (or at least gets the first ones to market)  the new EOS 5Ds and EOS 5Dsr.  Yeah, it handles just like my ancient   EOS 5D, but now it's a 50MP sensor!  It has a hefty price tagged but to see something like this getting close to the low-end medium format digital backs out there, all for only $3600 for the body, I feel like the quality is going to eventually get there.

For now, I will repeat my daily mantra:  "film is good....film is good......"  

                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     



No comments:

Post a Comment